Frank S. Bangs, Jr.
Partner - Retired
Grant Road Professional Plaza
5983 E. Grant Road, Suite 290
Tucson, AZ 85712-2365
Phone: (520) 207-4464
Fax: (520) 300-9662
Real Estate Finance
Zoning, Planning, Land Use
- LL.M., Washington University School of Law, 1971
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 1970
- B.A., University of Kansas 1965
U.S. District Court, Arizona, 1980
Mr. Bangs practiced in the areas of land use, zoning and real estate with a focus on sustainable development. He has extensive experience in state and local government legislation, administrative law and related litigation. His land use practice included representation of clients in rezoning variance, subdivision, development agreement, initiative and referendum and annexation matters.
Mr. Bangs was an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Tucson from 1975 to 1983 and provided day-to-day legal advice in the area of land use controls (zoning, subdivision, floodplain and sign regulation) to the Planning Department, City Engineer, Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment. Collateral assignments with the City Attorney's Office included redevelopment, economic development, representation of the City in utility regulation matters and liaison with City's bond counsel. These duties included representation of the City in both state and federal courts, with emphasis on zoning, floodplain regulation, redevelopment, environmental impact and Section 1983 (damages for taking) litigation.
Mr. Bangs served as the editor of the Land Use Controls Service of the American Society of Planning Officials (now the American Planning Association) from 1971 to 1974.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Pima County Bar Association, Member
- American Planning Association, MemberArizona Planning Association, Member and Former Board Member (1984-1986)
- CLE State Bar Seminars, Frequent Co-Chair
- School of planning, College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
- Architecture at the University of Arizona, Former Adjunct Lecturer on land use law (2001-2002)
- Southern Arizona Water Resources Association, Former President (1993-1994) and Board Member (1989-1994)
- Arizona Theater Company, Former Board of Trustees Member (1989-1991)
- Department of Geography, Regional Development and Planning, University of Arizona, Former Visiting Lecturer on land use law (1975, 1987)
- Arizona Technical Assistance Task Force of the Office of Economic Planning and Development, Former Member (1984-1985)
Mr. Bangs was an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell. He is listed in the 2003-2011 editions of The Best Lawyers in America ®, by Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C. in the categories of Land Use & Zoning Law and Real Estate Law. He is also listed in the 2007 edition of Southwest Super Lawyers in the category of Land Use/Zoning.
Mr. Bangs received a Certificate of Appreciation from the City of Tucson for serving on the Zoning Code Revisions Subcommittee in 1995.
He also received the Award for Excellence from the American Planning Association in 1998 for participation as a juror on the National Planning Awards Committee.